A question that I frequently get asked, especially this time of year in the fall when kids are going back to college or going off to college for the first time.

Do I need an estate plan for my adult child, my now adult child? Do I need healthcare powers of attorney for them? What exactly do I need forms wise for my child? 

One of the most important things that you can do is to get a healthcare power of attorney. Because once your child is over 18, legally, they are an adult and they can make their own decisions about healthcare, finances or anything else.

And so if there was an accident or if anything happened to them, if they were in the hospital or needed medical attention, you would not technically be able to make their healthcare decisions for them in an emergency situation without a document like that.

Depending on the state that they’re going to college in. The requirements for the documents may be different. So you may need to consult an attorney in a different state if they’re going out of the state of North Carolina.

But if they’re going to be going to college in North Carolina this fall, and you’d like to discuss that form, or if you’d like to get a will set up for them just for their basic property rights, come talk to me at Dixon Law Firm and we can discuss exactly what forms they might need. And I’d love to discuss it with you.

Share This